Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Lack of resources dumbfounds medical student

Today I was doing prenatal consultations in the maternite, and as I do with all patients, I closed the interview by asking if she had any questions or concerns. This patient completely dumbfounded me by saying, yes, I do have a concern, my husband's mother beats me. She pulls up her dress to show me all these bruises on her body. She goes on to explain that she moved to Lambarene to be with her husband's family and she has no support here. So she gets beaten and no one stands up for her. Goodness, that is not what I meant by any concerns. I was literally dumbfounded. I had no idea how to counsel her or what resources were available. After asking around, I found that none exist here, of course. I felt so helpless. What on earth could I offer this patient? People don't hug here, so even my human contact with her was limited and constrained by cultural differences. Agh, so frustrating to not have anything at all to tell my patient or offer to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment