Monday, July 2, 2007

What is it good for?


Recently, as in the last month, I have been lax on No-Buying rules. So much so that I decided to call June the month of Greatly Reduced Buy. I have my reasons and rationalizations (vacations, celebrating the end of teaching, no buy fatigue) but deep down I know that it is laziness and self-indulgence that have caught up with me lately. Therefore, beginning July 1st, I rededicate myself to this project, to thinking deeply about the connections between consumerism and personal/environmental/social well-being, and to pushing myself to plan ahead even when I am tired and just want to give in to the ease of buying. As a beginning to our redoubled efforts, Owen and I went on a cooking blitz yesterday, making 15 bean soup, brown rice for the week, and a loaf of prune/chocolate bread. Baking bread has been one of the great joys and new discoveries of the past six months. For that reason, I proudly present a picture of our very first successful loaf from this January. Behold the culinary masterpiece.

1 comment:

  1. Sophie: I congratulate you on giving yourself a respite and on rededicating yourself to your project. I have a wonderful recipe for cracked wheat bread if you like. Enjoy these quickly vanishing days of summer. Mrs Andersen

    ReplyDelete