Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Craigslist scams

Owen and I are hoping to push no-buy in a new, deeper direction by getting rid of both of our cars before we move to Chicago. Maybe being sans vehicle in Arctic winds will teach us a lesson, but right now the prospect of being carless is a joyful one. Both of our universities give out "u-passes" which allow students to travel on all public transportation for mere pennies a day. This is exciting because I have never been a big public commuter (no need in Portland and no real possibility to do it in Baltimore) and I look forward to the challenge of bus schedules, large bags, and strange seatmates. Something new at least. The sole detractor from all my car-free reveries is the hassle of selling a car, namely on Craigslist. What is the deal with all the scams? Why do I have an inbox full of Nigerian wire transfer offers and sketchy people who want me to drive the car to Columbia (the town in MD, not the country) because they just moved here from a foreign country? Finding renters for the house was so pleasant, and this is just so bizarre. I just want a nice person to hand me some cash and take my bruiser of a vehicle off my hands so that I can start drooling over the Chicago Transit Authority route maps and schedules.

No comments:

Post a Comment