Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Gabonese independence

Yesterday marked 50 years of Gabonese independence from French rule. There was much drinking and carousing in the streets. Lots of yellow, green, and blue (the national colors of the Gabonese). Dancing. Parades. Fireworks. Surprisingly little political fanfare or discussion. I wonder what people really think of the French or of being a former colony. Whenever I ask people, I feel as though I don't get a straight answer. And I probably do not. For me the best part was that two of the French girls here had organized a soiree of Gabonese foods and one of the nurses at the pediatrie, who lives nearby, taught us how to cook some basic local dishes. It was fun to mash bananas the traditional way and to have everyone laugh at our inept whiteness. Plus some of the things are delightfully yummy like fonlon leaves, which are a creamier spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment