Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Adjustements

I am quickly adjusting to life in Gabon and at Hopital Schweitzer especially. I still feel a little tired and stomach achy, but it is going down. To me, this indicates that my immune system is adapting to all of the new antigens that are assaulting it. I have also been washing my hands like a crazy person which I think has avoided any giant gastro-intestinal problems thus far. Interestingly I had a lot of problems sleeping the first few nights because all the noises kept me up. Now I sleep like an old log at night and during my afternoon siesta. The sounds of animals, people, wind, water, insects no longer bother me. Speaking of insects, on Monday we had a migratory ant invasion. Apparently, a huge column of ants arrived at 7pm and invaded the house. According to my roommate (I was out at dinner) they covered the drapes and the floor. She fought valiantly against them with water and bug spray, and was able to get rid of them. By the time I got home they were much less numerous. Still you could sweep up giant piles of dead ants and the kitchen sink was full of drowned ants.

In terms of hospital work, there is a French medical student working with me in pediatrie and we are seeing patients all by ourselves all day long. We do the newborn visits in the morning, help with rounding, see patients in the late morning and develop the treatment plans together. We even admit our patients and follow them in the hospital now. Most of the cases we see are gastroenteritis and malaria, but even with the trickier things we are starting to head out on our own. It's a nice pace of work. Sometimes I worry that we are going to screw something up for a patient, but I remember that you can get antibiotics at the pharmacy here without seeing a doctor and that a lot of people use traditional healers still, so we cannot be doing more harm than those two avenues of health care. I do need to organize what I have learned and my work into more of a guide though. That way I will become more efficient and be able to help out even more. For example, today we saw 11 patients in total. I think within a few weeks I should be able to see even more.

1 comment:

  1. HI, Sophie,

    I'm so glad Lindsay Andersen turned me on to your blog! I've been following it with great interest. I think it's wonderful that you're experiencing Africa for the first time. You probably realize by now that, having been bitten by the Africa bug, you'll never get over the need to return again and again. And you'll find you're a member of a select club, those with experience with third-world medicine.

    My own connection with Africa began in 1959, when I took part in a work/study group in Tanganyika, Uganda, and Kenya. Then, after internship, I was a Peace Corps Doc in Chad, 1966-68. During residency, I took a break and worked for the Peace Corps in Togo and Dahomey for three months. I was chief surgeon at the Hopital Albert Schweitzer in Haiti from 1974 to 1980. In 1997 and 2000, I visited my sons, who were with the Peace Corps in Tanzania and South Africa respectively.

    We've got a mutual friend in the wonderful Lindsay, and I'm hoping we'll stay in touch.

    Mike Hammar
    hammars@pinetel.com

    ReplyDelete